Filing a Complaint

To file a complaint to the Code Enforcement Division, submit a complete, signed Citizen’s Complaint Form in person; by mail to the Code Enforcement office at 505 S Vulcan Avenue, Encinitas, CA 92024; or submit an online Request for City Assistance. A person can also scan and email the complaint form to [email protected], or fax it to 760-633-2818.  Please be sure to provide complete contact information, should staff need to contact you regarding your complaint.

Please note that Code Enforcement is responsible for the investigation of many, but not all, types of property-related complaints, as reflected below.

Code Enforcement responds to issues involving the following:

  • Barking dogs
  • Construction without permits
  • Fence height regulations
  • Graffiti removal 
  • Illegal dwelling units
  • Inoperable vehicles on private property 
  • Junk, trash, and debris in public view
  • Noise violations
  • Parking Citation Appeals
  • Signs and banners without permits
  • Signs in the public right-of-way
  • Trash cans left out 
  • Unpermitted home occupations in residential zones

Code Enforcement does NOT respond to issues involving:

For non-emergency law enforcement issues, please contact the Sheriff’s dispatch line at 858-565-5200