The Housing Plan Update 2019 is being prepared based on Council direction received at their meeting of December 12, 2018 in response to the order of the San Diego Superior Court issued on December 12, 2018, which requires the City to adopt a Housing Element consistent with State law within 120 days (April 11, 2019). At the December 12th meeting, the City Council also directed staff to submit a draft Housing Element by December 21, 2018 to the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) for review. According to the proposed Housing Element draft, "The Housing Element Update provides the City with a coordinated and comprehensive strategy for promoting the production of safe, decent, and affordable housing for all within the Encinitas community."
Submittal to State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD)
Council Directed Submittal – December 21, 2018
At the December 12, meeting, the City Council directed staff to submit a draft Housing Element by December 21, 2018 to HCD for review. The draft 2013-2021 Housing Element Update was submitted to the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) on December 21, 2018 for their review and comment, which included the following documents:
- Submittal Letter including responses to HCD letters and Public Correspondence to HCD
- Checklist of Required Sections
- Section 1: Housing Element Policy Program – contains the policy program for the Housing Element
- Appendix A: Community Engagement Summary – provides a summary of community engagement activities conducted and community comments
- Appendix B: Housing Profile Report – provides the requisite analysis of housing need, constraints and resources pursuant to housing element law
- Appendix C: Adequate Sites Analysis – provides the requisite analysis for the provision of adequate sites to accommodate the City’s RHNA need (Updated January 2, 2019) (Updated January 10, 2019)
As part of the submittal additional attachments were included as follows:
Additional Information Submittal – January 10, 2019
As requested by HCD staff the following additional information was submitted for their review and consideration:
The Housing Element Update Identifies:
- Policies for new housing construction, rehabilitation and conservation of the existing affordable housing stock
- Strategies and programs focusing on: housing affordability, substandard housing rehabilitation, existing demand for new housing, eliminating housing development constraints, and maintaining an adequate supply of rental housing.
- Sites suitable for lower income housing that will be up-zoned to 30 units per acre.
Visit the Housing Plan Update 2018 (Measure U) and Housing Plan Update (Measure T) websites for a summary of past efforts related to the Housing Element.